Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Moby Dick Library Part III

Note - If you are beginning here - go back and start at 'My Moby Dick Library' the first post and read in order - thanks

Alright - let's wrap this up - as I hope you can see I am an AMATEUR fan, scholar, and book collector - by no means is this list academic or definitive - these are just some 'shout-outs' from the dark, if you will, to certain books that I believe will enliven the mind when you are pondering MD. You could spend a fortune on first editions, rare signed copies, and mint condition texts of the novel but if you read some or all of the books I herein describe - you'll be mentally richer than doing the former.

That being said - these last books are not MD or Melville texts - no they are completely unrelated but somehow in a borgesian librarian way they offer connection to reading, analyzing, and enjoying that which you have already read or will read in the future - and again not definitive, just a few I pulled off my shelves to recommend  -

I may not even describe most of them - perhaps I will just show them and let you peruse as you wish -
good luck chasing the whale - JTM






No Island is an Island -  this is one of the best lectures I have read - discussing the idea of Utopia and originality and everything that is worth thinking about - read it!








Alongside Melville and Borges (and maybe Bob Dylan, Tom Waits and Robert Hunter) Lawrence Ferlinghetti blows my mind - if you have a chance,  GO to City Lights in San Fran...






 This poster makes me laugh - This is why you can never make a great MD movie - especially if you're trying to sell it as another 'Jaws'

Good book on cities with a melville quote in its intro






 Very informative read on the past and future of Cape Cod









One of my favorite spots in NYC - a collection of treasures from all over Europe - and sometimes I imagine the journey these antiquities made by ship over the Atlantic - must have been no small feat









Ok - thus ends the lesson - i'm gonna leave you with another of my passions - food - and like stubb devouring the whale in Chapter 65 of MD - I too enjoy a bit of seafood prepared well - due to legality and good taste, I'm not about to eat a whale but I'm not above sampling the fiends that abound around that great leviathan below - Here is the zenith of zen food preparation - The Nobu cookbook - Enjoy JTM















No comments:

Post a Comment